Since 2017, the GAP Center has tackled timely issues, bringing insights from policy theory and practice to enhance policy outcomes and address inequities. There is much work to be done, but I am proud that the Schar School is committed to educating our students and engaging with wider constituents on the critical role of gender in the policy context.
– BONNIE STABILE, PHD., DIRECTOR, GAP CENTER
The support of the Gender and Policy Center at George Mason University solidified in my mind the importance of my research on black women, leadership, and state legislatures. In a male-dominated field, it is often difficult to garner support for a research area that primarily deals with intersectional identities. My research agenda will always be an uphill battle but with the support of the GAP Center, I know it is necessary and valid work.
– DR. JATIA WRIGHTEN
The GAP Center has hosted politicians, scholars, journalists,and policymakers including:
- Congresswomen Eleanor Holmes Norton and Jennifer Wexton
- Harvard Professor Theda Skocpol
- Brookings Institution Scholar Thomas E. Mann
- Thomas B. Edsall of The New York Times
- Former Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James
- Former U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Acting Chair Victoria Lipnic
The GAP Center publications have focused on:
- Diversity and Inclusion in Emergency Management and First Response
- Social Media Use by Anti-Gender Based Violence Organizations
- Disparities in Outcomes During the Covid-19 Pandemic