Mission-Focused Nonprofit Executive
Innovative Strategist | Fearless Fundraiser| Trusted Leader
Business Trend Analysis | US and Global Member Engagement | Legislative and Regulatory Strategies | Navigating Industry Disruption | Non-Dues Revenue Generation | Association Rebranding
Anderson & Associates, LLC
2018 – Present
Independent consultant providing fundraising and strategic counsel to nonprofits and trade associations.
The Personal Care Products Council (PCPC), Washington, D.C.
1996 – 2015
A not-for-profit corporation with 59 employees and leading national trade association for the $250B cosmetic and personal care products industry. Provides a voice for 600 company members on legal, scientific, regulatory, legislative, and international issues.
Executive Vice President (EVP), Legal (2006 – 2015)
Managed four-person legal department overseeing all legal affairs of PCPC and its foundation. Provided legal advice to Board and represented industry and membership on federal and state legal and regulatory issues, including spearheading initiatives in collaboration with scientists, executives, legislators, attorneys, and PCPC’s science, global strategies, government affairs departments.
- Navigating Industry Disruption. Catalyzed efforts to build compelling legal and scientific case which convinced California attorney general to make a public declaration that lead in lipstick does not raise reasonable claims of violation of CA proposition 65. Saved industry $millions in frivolous law suits.
- Business Trend Analysis | Non-Dues Revenue Generation. Spearheaded creation of profitable, cutting-edge industry webinars. Educated cross-section of US and international membership on trending legal issues, including branding, reputation management and IP. Two webinars exceeded revenue expectations by 78% and 15%, respectively.
- Global Engagement. Contributed to international initiatives that drove global advancement of cosmetic industry. Invited to speak at Australian cosmetic association on US industry regulations for sunscreen sales. Achieved 4-way agreement between US, EU, Canada and Japan on science testing protocol.
- Legislative Strategy. Spearheaded initiation of groundbreaking legislation that would fundamentally shift the regulatory landscape of the cosmetic industry to mitigate detrimental consumer activism. Drafted compelling legislation around ingredient safety and user fees and supported GR team to advocate for congressional adoption.
- Regulatory Affairs Strategy | Industry Advocacy. Resolved 19-year impasse during which the FDA declined to meet with members to discuss critical, expensive scientific testing protocols related to topical healthcare products. Developed compelling legal strategy resulting in the FDA reversing its stance. To this day, receive continual accolades from industry colleagues for paving their way to engage the agency on related topics.
- Member Engagement. Transformed legacy legal conference into “must-attend” event for attorney and regulatory affairs members. Expanded scope to focus on proactive business strategy issues and fostered senior level networking opportunities. Over three-year period ignited a community of thought leaders, increased attendance by 30% and grew sponsorship revenues from $5K to $57K.
- Association Rebranding. Played key role in rebranding association from industry-focused to consumer-friendly identity as vital strategy in industry reputation management. Drafted adoption of voluntary industry code ensured legal compliance of public-facing website launch, and spearheaded IP proceedings around new brand moniker.
Associate General Counsel (2002 – 2006)
Assistant General Counsel (1996 – 2002)
Beiersdorf, Inc., Norwalk, CT
1993 – 1996
A maker of NIVEA, the world’s #1 skin care brand, and one of 150 affiliates of Beiersdorf AG, which is based in Germany; generates ~€6B in annual revenue; traded on the Frankfurt exchange (BEI); founded in 1973.
Legal & Regulatory Section Manager
J.D., Boston College Law School, Newton Centre, MA
B.A., double major: German and Art History (cum laude), Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME
Institute of European Studies (two years), Vienna, Austria
(Full scholarship the second year in exchange for working part time at the Institute of European Studies)
Smithsonian National Collection of Fine Arts (now the National Museum of American Art)
Guggenheim Museum, New York, NY
English and German
Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI), Board of Directors
Chair Emeritus, 2014 | Chair, 2013 | Vice Chair, 2012 | Board Member, 2011
Distinguished Service and Leadership Award, Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI), 2014
Tahirih, the premier nonprofit organization providing holistic solutions and legal services for immigrant women and girls who are fleeing violence and injustice in their home countries
D.C. Advisory Council Member; D.C. Gala Committee Member